Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm torn..

Photobucket



Anybody who has spent time in New York’s East Village over the past years knows it’s not what it used to be. From the Chipotle on St Marks to the sanitation of Tompkins Square Park the formally sketchy magic has been white washed and replaced with commercialized gleam only slightly better than the Disney vomit that Times Square has become. One of the biggest blows to the old East Village was the loss of CBGBS. John Varvatos has opened a store where CBGBS used to be. He has managed to keep as much of the original venue as he could. My knee jerk reaction to this is to hate it. But would I rather have the place gutted and forgotten? Maybe it’s better to have a museum disguised as an haute couture boutique than nothing at all. I guess in this changing city I’ll take what I can get.

No comments: