Monday, June 29, 2009

transformers

Photobucket


Saw Transformers: Rise of the Fallen this weekend. It's getting slagged by critics and i can see why. It is by no means a great film. I think the reason it isn't is that it never really figures out what kind of a movie it wants to be. On one hand you have a kids movie feel with fart jokes and robot balls. On the other you have pot brownies and dog humping. I really don't ask much for movies. I take them for what they are and generally I can be entertained and all is good. But a film needs to know WHAT it is and what it wants to say. If it's a kids movie then fine.. Michael bay could have made a decent movie within those parameters, but he wanted to please the hipsters that grew up with the toy franchise. The result? No one gets pleased and characters that many have a nostalgia for get pissed on. And don't get me started on Skids and Mudflap. Are they racist? I think so. Let me ask you this. If the characters were live actor and not robots would you be offended by how they were portrayed? Absolutely.

No comments: